Monday, June 18, 2007

Jury duty.....

I got my very first jury summons for today. It came right in the middle of my LIFE... in the midst of 2 nights of work, vet appointments, kid activities, etc etc. I was actually pretty excited until I actually figured out how difficult it was going to be to squeeze this into my life, especially work (feeling guilty because we are running so short staffed right now, knowing I can't work nights and be at the courthouse all day). Anyway, when I got called to the specific courtroom it turns out that it's a week and a half trial, and the witness list that they read sounded like some kind of mob roster. Then I find out the charges are for sexual molestation of a boy. YUCK! I actually was torn between really wanting to serve on this jury (to "help" firsthand see that justice is done, whatever that may be), and wanting to go HOME! I did let them know about the work situation, and then I spent the rest of the day with the other prospective jurors being instructed and questioned. I did (thankfully) get excused!!! The nosy part of me wanted to stay, but the practical part of me wanted to leave. In the end it wasn't my decision anyway.
When I got home, I (of course) looked up the dude in our local paper (online) to find out what the stories were in the paper about him. Turns out he has federal charges against him for defrauding Medicare, had lots of guns, and I even found an arrest record for more sexual charges from this year. It's very interesting to me knowing this in light of how the questioning went throughout the day. Wow. I am even more glad to have been excused, I will be praying that the truth will be known!

3 comments:

picklemouse said...

Hee, I got a jury duty summons last summer - just a few days before the movers came! That one was pretty easy to get out of.

This sounds like it could have been a pretty disturbing trial to be a part of, though. I'm not sure how I'd be able to cope with something like that. Will you follow the case in the paper as it unfolds now?

Kimbo said...

I will follow it in the paper... I just have to remember to walk down and get one! :)

Hbomb said...

I have never had to serve as I have been very pregnant both times I was called to duty, Johnny, however, really wanted to serve and has only been called once and the night before he was supposed to show up, he called the number on the jury card only to be told he was no longer needed. I think it would be incredibly interesting, but just as difficult. Keep us posted on this one.