Sunday, August 5, 2007

Sabbath, for me

I've been thinking lately about the idea of the Sabbath. I heard a teaching on the radio about it, and I have always kind of wondered about how it is to fit into my life. I can't stand the idea of the traditional Jewish / fundamental Christian Sabbath day where you have to sit and do nothing fun, no cooking, a legalistic bummer. However, the Word is pretty clear, the Sabbath is for real, and it's FOR US from the Lord. Anyway, I am still studying, and asking the Lord to show me what that means. I am a busy mom, and I don't like legalism. Today I declared that I was having a "Sabbath day", and I turned down a lunch invitation, and told my kids "no" for a birthday party scheduled for 3:00 today (amidst protests... it was a pool party). I did take them to the park for an hour and a half of playing, and I did do a couple of loads of laundry (MY BEDDING... love clean sheets). I think that we are so busy that having a down day is a must. I know I need to keep the Lord in the middle of the day (tempting to make it a selfish day), and I don't want to say, "I can't do this, and I can't do that," but I want to give the Lord room to work, room for me to recharge. Today was a good start.

BTW, I got to do a little picture taking today at the park, had a good time. A couple pix are on my flickr site.

:) Kim

1 comment:

Hbomb said...

YEAH! A post, how exciting!